Sunday, December 28, 2008

observations on attention training

I've been watching and reading up on meditation a bit recently,
especially thanks to google techtalks speakers Philipe Golden, Jon Kabat-Zinn and Robina Courtin
and as a result experimenting with this a little bit.
In this day and age where so many have attention deficit disorder, like its not a muscle that can be trained, while many have been training it for centuries..

Oh, I'm no expert.. but I guess when one starts an exercise program, one starts to experience new pains and powers.

Apparently there are two types of meditation, practice where you work on focusing your attention..(maybe more a process of remembering, and returning focus to the object of attention) .. and exploration, where one observes and gains insight. Given the mystical nature attributed to dreams it makes sense that this state might naturally occur on awakening from sleep.
and this is what I had a little experience with this morning.. but my (as yet) poorly trained mind harvests only small insight so far.

I probably have it all wrong at this point..
more later.

1 comment: